Solution Generation and the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities to Present $10,000 Award for Climate Leadership
Together with the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), Solution Generation is awarding one HACU-member institution with the HACU/Solution Generation Award for Leadership in Climate Change Awareness. A $10,000 award will be given to a HACU-member institution deemed by the selection committee to have the broadest, most innovative, and most effective outreach effort at engaging the campus and broader community in climate and sustainability solutions. The focus of this award is leading by example and dedication to campus and community engagement – two of higher education’s most defining characteristics.
HACU, founded in 1986 with a membership of eighteen institutions, represents approximately 450 colleges and universities committed to Hispanic higher education success in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Latin America, and Spain. Solution Generation is the higher education program of our MomentUs initiative.
The HACU/Solution Generation selection committee has received many outstanding proposals from universities and colleges throughout the U.S. Some of the proposals include:
– Implementing bilingual climate change resources to educate local communities and to find out which climate solutions most resonate (Central Community College, Nebraska)
– Funding student “sustainability ambassadors” to bring attention to on-campus sustainability campaigns, and to conduct climate and sustainability research for the local community (energy efficiency for low-income housing, indoor environmental air quality for Pueblo residents) (Colorado State University, Pueblo)
– Installing interpretive signage around campus to highlight sustainability efforts, and creating an interactive computer program to explore benefits and costs of different sustainable building options (solar panels, green roofing, thermal pane windows, etc.) by virtually redesigning buildings (College of Lake County, Illinois)
– Instituting a weatherization education program to work with local, low-income homeowners to decrease energy bills, weatherize housing, and rehabilitate older, energy-inefficient homes (Washington and Lee, Virginia)
– Greenhouse gas analysis (Rhode Island College)
The winner of the HACU/Solution Generation Award for Leadership in Climate Change Awareness will be announced on October 12, 2015 at the Townhall Meeting of HACU’s 29th Annual Conference in Miami.
By encouraging colleges to think creatively and collaboratively about driving climate change solutions, Solution Generation and HACU hope to inspire higher education, students, and communities to work together to overcome one of the greatest challenges of our time. The proposals for the HACU/Solution Generation Award for Leadership in Climate Change Awareness are inspirational and innovative. This dedication to improving our future is a positive sign for climate change solutions – with our collective talent and dedication, higher education is sure to drive climate change progress.